+46 769 658751

Immigration to Sweden

Residence permits for the self-employed In Sweden
Are you a citizen of a non EU/EEA country and thinking of starting a business in Sweden? Then you need a residence permit, and in order to obtain a permit there are certain requirements that you need to fulfill.
Non EU/EEA citizens need a residence permit
You must have a residence permit if you are a citizen of a non EU/EEA country and plan to work for a period longer than three months to start up or run your own business. You apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket). As self-employed you are not allowed to take employment with any employer. You apply at a Swedish mission abroad in your native country or the country you are living in.
The Swedish Migrations Board’s requirements for obtaining a residence permit as a self-employed

In order to obtain a residence permit in Sweden as a self-employed, you must:
• have a valid passport
• show that you have significant experience in your field and previous experience of running your own business
• have documented knowledge in Swedish and/or English
• show that you are running the business, that you have the ultimate responsibility for it and that you own at least half of the business
• show that the business’ services or goods are sold and/or produced in Sweden
• show that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and, if applicable, your family during the first two years (equivalent to SEK 200,000 for you, SEK 100,000 for your spouse and SEK 50,000 for each accompanying child)
• show that the business, following the two-year probationary period, is expected to be able to support you and, if applicable, your family.
Make sure to extend your passport if it is about to expire. You cannot get a permit for longer than your passport’s period of validity. You must have a permit that is valid for at least one year and stay in Sweden for at least one year if you want to be registered in the Swedish population register.
The documents should be translated to Swedish or English